Latest News – updated February 2020.
The 2020 Annual Public meeting was held on Tuesday 25th February. If you were unable to attend and would like to volunteer to participate in any of the activities of the group, please contact survey group leaders or the secretary. Minutes of the meeting are available for download here (PDF)
The 2019 Annual Report is now available for download – here (PDF)
The 2019 Lapwing & Curlew Survey Report is now available for download. Please see the project page for the link. The recruitment form for 2020 is also available for download there.
Download the 2020 Red Grouse Survey forms here
The 2019 Botanical Surveys report is now available for download. Please see the project page for the link.
The 2018 and 2019 Red Grouse Survey reports are now available for download. Please see the project page for the link.
Please check back here for updates soon!
About the Group
Click here to find out more about the Group.
Current Survey Activities
Survey projects are adopted by the Management Committee in consultation with members at the Annual Public Meeting, and will reflect the interests of the members.
To date, there have been fifteen projects adopted by the SACWG, eight of which are still active, with two being organised currently. You may select the links below to find out more about these surveys. The projects are divided into three groups, depending on the level of activity in each.
- Active Projects. These are currently running (or shortly to start) formal surveys involving both members and local wildlife experts, working in collaboration.
- Long Mynd Red Grouse Survey
- Butterfly Survey
- Swifts in the Strettons
- Strettons Community Tree Planting Project
- Wildlife Site Botanical Survey
- Stretton Wetlands
- Lapwing and Curlew Survey
- Surveying Hedgehogs in the Strettons
- Dormice in the Strettons. This project is currently in the planning phase. If interested, contact Caroline Uff
- Surveying for Native Crayfish in the Strettons. This project is currently in the planning phase. If interested, contact Steve Butler
- Informal Projects. These have ceased organised survey activities but are still accepting casual observations from the public relating to the subject matter of the project. See the project websites for information on what sort of information is still useful and who should receive it.
- Currently “Retired” Projects. These are currently neither active nor are they accepting casual observations. It is likely that some may be re-activated in the future as long-term (but not necessarily annual) observations are critical to monitoring changes in wildlife.
The SACWG Annual Report summarises the activities of the Group, with particular emphasis on the achievements of each of our surveys. To download the Annual Reports (in PDF format), select the appropriate link below:
- Annual Report for 2012
- Annual Report for 2013
- Annual Report for 2014
- Annual Report for 2015
- Annual Report for 2016
- Annual Report for 2017
- Annual Report for 2018
- Annual Report for 2019
Future Survey Activities
Repeating surveys annually is far more valuable than continually changing activities, as this helps to monitor species and indicate if populations are increasing or decreasing. However, new surveys can be adopted if there is sufficient interest from the membership and someone to lead the activity. All members are invited to propose new surveys prior to the Annual Public Meeting. There will be an opportunity at the annual meeting to present potential new surveys to the group. Popular new survey activities can be adopted at this stage.
Annual Public Meeting
The 2019 Annual Public Meeting was held on 28 March 2018 at the All Stretton Village Hall. The agenda is available here and the minutes will be posted in this section once they are available.
For a list of the SACWG Committee and the leaders of each of the SACWG projects, select this link.
For more information on the Strettons Area Community Wildlife Group, contact:
- Steve Butler (Chair): (01694) 723 514 or SACWG_Chair@shropscwgs.org.uk
- Heather Hathaway (Secretary): (01694) 722 537 or SACWG@shropscwgs.org.uk
For issues relating to this website, contact:
- John Baines (Web Maintenance): SACWG_WebAdmin@shropscwgs.org.uk
Page updated: 27/02/2020 by JGNB